If you are a mushroom lover, you will love this recipe. It was a simple soup to make and can be made into a vegan recipe very easily. The added texture of the whole oyster mushrooms made the soup robust and filling. It could be served by itself with crusty bread or with a meal.
I had to use dried oyster mushroom. 1 oz dried mushrooms turned out to be around 4 oz when rehydrated. If you do use dried mushrooms, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to rehydrate them, otherwise, you will have hard chewy bits of mushroom in your soup. I simmered them for 20mins.
This was my second recipe from Oprah Winfrey’s new cookbook called Food, Health, and Happiness: 115 On-Point Recipes for Great Meals and a Better Life.
Tips for keeping it vegan:
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Use coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
- Use vegan parmesan cheese instead of real parmesan cheese. Honestly, I did not have any cheese and the soup still turned out fantastic!
- Olive oil spray
- 4 oz (2 cups) whole oyster mushrooms, cut in half if large
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Spray sauce pan with olive oil. Add the oyster mushrooms and a large pinch of salt to a sauce pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until soften. Set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium-low heat, add onion and cook until softened, but not colored. About 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the button mushrooms, bay leaf and 1 tsp salt. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the chicken stock and white pepper, cover again, raise the heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook for a minute or so, until heated through. Remove the bay leaf.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Or use a hand held blender.
- Season with more salt if needed.
- Pour the soup into bowls and divide the oyster mushrooms among the bowls. Garnish with the cheese, cracked black pepper and parsley and serve.