Parmesan Roasted Zucchini
This recipe is great for any occasion. It would work for a buffet style dinner party, a light lunch served with your favorite protein or a quiet weeknight dinner served with grilled fish. It also makes for a great appetizer as well.
I ended up making this dish for a dinner party and it worked out as a lovely side dish with crab as the main entree.
The recipe came from Ina Garten’s cookbook called Cooking for Jeffrey. This was my fourth recipe from this cookbook, and so far, it worked out really well.
Live on the edge: Try this recipe using mushrooms instead of zucchini, I think you will be very pleased!!
- 6 medium zucchini (2 1/2 to 3 lbs)
- olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic ( 3 cloves) or garlic infused olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Italian Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread flakes)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Trim the stem end of the zucchini, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out a small channel of seeds with a regular teaspoon.
- Place the zucchini in one layer on a sheet pan.
- Brush all over with olive oil and turn the zucchini cut side down.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and roast for 10 minutes, until just tender but still firm.
- While that is baking, make the bread crumbs or use store bought panko bread crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, basil, Parmesan, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Add the panko and 3 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Turn the zucchini cut side up and spoon a heaping tbsp of the panko mixture evenly on each zucchini.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes, until the panko is crispy. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.