Isabel’s Homemade Chicken Soup
Homemade chicken soup was something my mother would make anytime someone was sick in our house. The first spoonful would magically rid you of your illness. Over the years, I experimented with my mother’s recipe, adding different herbs and different vegetables. Her signature ingredient that I have always loved was tomatoes. The tomatoes brighten the soup by adding a little acid to the flavor profile.
- 4-5 lb whole chicken
- 6-7 quarts of water
- Course salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 celery talks, sliced
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2- 14 oz cans of either whole tomatoes or stewed tomatoes
- 3 twigs of fresh rosemary
- 5 twigs of fresh thyme
- 4 leaves of fresh sage
- 3 bay leafs
- Optional: egg noodles or your favorite bread
- Optional: 1 cup of your favorite mushrooms
- Bring chicken, water and 1 tbsp of salt to slow to medium boil in a large stockpot. Avoid a rolling boil so that you can easily skim the foam and fat, and keep the broth clear.
- Skim foam and fat.
- Add herbs. I usually tie up all the herbs to make a bouquet garni or you can use a cheese cloth.
- Simmer for about 1-1.5 hrs
- Remove chicken.
- Remove bouquet garni.
- Add vegetables at the very end if you like crunchy vegetables, simmer for 30 mins.
- Optional: cook egg noodles (follow cooking instructions on package).
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces while the vegetables simmer.
- Add desired amount of chicken; save the rest of the chicken for another dish like chicken tacos or chicken salad.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add optional noodles and garnish with parsley.